Thursday, November 10, 2005

What Theologian are you?

Here's a little quiz that will help examine your views and determine which theologian you are most aligned with in your Biblical worldview. Note the obvious - the questions will naturally be prejudiced with the quiz author's viewpoints, and the questions are also designed to lead you to a preselected list of theologians! However, it is a fun little exercise that is also challenging.

Why is it challenging you, the gentle reader; may ask? It actually is a great exercise that has more than just entertainment value as it involves determining the meaning of words, and therefore what does the question really mean? I found several questions that could be construed in a few different possibilities, therefore the sliding scale in which to respond.

The list of possible theologians include:
  1. John Calvin
  2. Martin Luther
  3. Jonathon Edwards
  4. Karl Barth
  5. Friedrich Schleirmacher
  6. Paul Tillich
  7. Anselm
  8. Jurgen Moltmann
  9. Charles Finney
  10. Augustine

Who would you add to the list?!? I would throw in a couple of spoilers like perhaps Clark Pinnock, Greg Boyd or Gary North just to shake things up (caveat - I am neither endorsing or refuting their work - ha!)

When I took the quiz, interestingly enough I was presented with a tiebreaker! I had to choose between the following two statements which I actually rassled with a little bit:


Your Preference (Most True)


  1. Justification by faith alone is the heart of the Gospel
  2. All Christian theology must begin with the revelation of Christ

Faced with choosing between these two was difficult! Ultimately, I chose number 1 for this reason - I concluded that if we must use the word 'must', then all Christian theology must begin with the revelation of God (i.e. the trinity) as taught in the scriptures. Semantics, I know - but it underscores my thought on the importance of words.

Here's my results, which I think we're heavily biased by my choosing question number 1 above:

You scored as Martin Luther.

The daddy of the Reformation. You are opposed to any Catholic ideas of works-salvation and see the scriptures as being primarily authoritative.