Tuesday, November 08, 2005

New Friends, Old Friends and No Friends on Maui!

One of the best things about vacations is meeting up with old friends, making time for new friends and then just being a wee bit selfish and spending time alone (the caveman in me coming out). I had just the perfect mix of all of the above. Sherry and I had some great social time together, and as always she is gracious to give me a little Dave time (that's the "no friends" reference) where I almost completed my entire reading list!

Our friends Dan and Kathy flew over from So Cal, and we had a blast hanging out with them. Dan and I have a friendship that spans decades, we met at some church youth group function in the early eighties. We were invited to attend a get together at someone's house, and they were playing these idiot games where the goal was to embarrass someone. They would send someone to a back bedroom, plot the setup and like lemmings to the sea the people would file back out to have everyone humilate them. Well, eventually they sent Dan and I to the bedroom. We quickly concluded that this was lame and agreed we weren't going to play their stupid games. We began climbing out of the window thinking that it would be a great payback, the disappearing new guys! Well, we were intercepted before we escaped by the hostess and let her know how we felt. We offended the group but began a great friendship! Here's a pic of Dan and Kathy:

We also met a super cool family from Placerville CA. Joanie and Cony, grandaughter Jaymie and daughter Dianne. Joanie has a sense of humor like I do, and it is probably good that we live in different states. We laughed so hard that we had tears in our eyes! It was great spending time with them as well. Here's Joanie and Cony:


We also met a wonderful gal named Kelly. She was next to us at the pool one day, and had to run an errand. She asked if we would mind watching her chaise lounge, and I said "sure I'll just toss my man purse on it". For those of you that don't know, a man purse is a non frilly container used to transport necessary items. My man purse was a plastic bag from a novelty story with a bottle of suntan lotion, my beach hat, a book, and the room key. Here's another example - when we got back from Hawaii I was looking high and low for a lunch bag to take to work. I spotted an empty paper bag in Sherry's suitcase and grabbed it. Let's just say I got a little ribbing for carrying around a bag that said "Cinammon Girl" on the side!

Anyway, Kelly had overheard Joanie, Sherry, Dianne, Jaymie and I talking about marriage and we struck up a conversation. Turns out that she thought I was married to Dianne and that Sherry was Joanie's daughter and that Jaymie was our daughter. Or something like that! In any event we sorted out the confusion and found that she was leaving so we adopted her for the rest of the day and had a wonderful time. Here's Kelly with Joanie and Sherry:

Well, with all that love floating around there was only one thing to do, and that was to immerse myself in it! Here's Dave with the wahines (Dianne is on my right and Jaymie is on my left):


We also got a kick out of the valet boys. That is not a local band, but the guys that park our car. They are a good natured bunch, helpful, fun and always ready to joke around. One day we came down and I was carry Sherry's floatie. I pretended to be unaware of of them, and would turn around and biff one of them. Then, turn the other way and biff another. We got a good laugh out of that. Here's Sherry with a few of them:


Finally, we close with a Maui tradition. Sherry and I were married on Maui nine years ago (Dan up above performed our wedding) and we have a tradition of going back to the same spot and kissing whenever we are back on Maui. Alhtough there is no background because of the darkness, here we are nine years later celebrating almost a decade together! Please note that a stray beach ball had just been kicked up underneath my shirt appearing like a midlife bulge: