Saturday, November 19, 2005

Jim's first new car

My friend Jim (happy birthday!) gave me permission to post this email he sent recently. I crack up every time I read his recounting of the power antenna discussion. There are two important milestones in most people's lives, the purchasing of their first car and (if the first one was used) the purchasing of a new car. Here's Jim's story:


My first new car was a burgundy 88 Olds Calais SL. It was a special Calais. The Qaud-4 engine was the first world-class 16-valve built by GM. It had a nice German five-speed. Top notch sound system. Sun roof. $125 a tire Firestone Firehawk GTs on mag wheels. It had every option on it other than power windows and the trip computer. I could have purchased the top-of-the-line “International” edition, but I liked the black chrome accent look of the SL. I remember hashing out the deal with the salesman. After four hours we had an agreement until he said “What about a power antenna?” “What does it do?” I asked. “It goes up when you turn the radio on and goes down when you turn the radio off. $110.” “Better reception?” I asked. “It goes up when you turn the radio on and goes down when you turn the radio off. $110.” “Does it do anything else?” “It goes up when you turn the radio on and goes down when you turn the radio off. $110.” I got it.

My friends in DC gave me a hard time about a four-door but everyone enjoyed having their own door. The back seat folded down so you could carry 2x4s and such, a really nice feature. I loved that car enough to put 156,000 miles on it. We went to Maine, New York, Boston, Philly, Richmond, Nashville, Pittsburgh, all over the DelMarVa and Blue Ridge when I live in DC. Towed it behind a big Budget diesel when I moved back to Portland and immediately drove it up to Prince Rupert for a trip on the Inner Passage. I sold it seven years ago when I bought the Ford Ranger. The Olds needed a new exhaust, some of the interior plastic was broken or missing, and the head gasket should be replaced as that was the reason it was eating exhaust systems. Would not pass DEQ. Sold it to a back-yard mechanic for $650.

Yesterday I ran across it in the Lloyd Center parking lot. A bit worse for wear but it still had the Paul Brothers Oldsmobile, Chevy Chase Maryland emblem on the trunk and the security sandblast VIN on the windows (a necessary security measure when living in DC). I sat around for about ten minutes to see if the owners came by, but they never showed. I am pleased it is still on the road. Licensed through Sept 06.