Saturday, November 19, 2005

Haircut Day













As as my custom, I'd been keeping my hair very short all summer. Sherry plugs in the sheep shearers and buzzes my head. The pic on the left shows a little bit of grow out. Now that winter is just around the corner I've let it grow out a bit more as you can see on the picture at the right.

Obviously, my hair grows pretty fast. I went into one of those quick and easy haircut shops, I can't remember the name but it was the salon establishment of a Jiffy Lube - in and out, speed is as important as service. Maybe the marketing angle is the service is speed! In any event, I digress. A friendly lady approached and introduced herself as Kathy and notified me that she is ready to start working on me. Now, that approached puzzled me - you work on cars, like they do at Jiffy Lube. You cut hair, like they do in a salon. Hmmm - but I'm not in a salon! OK, I get it - and got in the chair.

Funny thing, it brought back a memory that is now almost thirty years old. It was a hot summer day in Redding California, and I had a friend named Cindy. Cindy decided her life's talents lay in the cosmetology field, and enrolled in that school (what was it Janet, do you remember?) on North Market Street. As part of her real life experience, she needed to perform an actual haircut on a living person.

Enter gullible Dave. It started innocently enough, a little light banter, a little snip snip of the scissors. Gradually though, Cindy became quiet. Then concerned. Then worried. Then she started to cry. As she is cutting my hair. Now, I'm beginning to get a little concerned myself. Cindy's instructor came over, and said in a reassuring tone; "I think we can fix it up a little bit and with time it will be OK".

Well, time does heal wounds...and hair. Cindy, if you are out there somewhere reading this - all is forgiven!