Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Seizure Story Number Four - On the Road Again!

Wednesday September 28th started as usual, but had enormous implications for the next few days. Yet again the technician's needle would find my vein like a starving mosquito on a Jenny Craig diet and pull from my body a sample of blood. The objective though was not nourishment (insert vampire joke here) but confirmation that I had enough drugs built up in my body to resume driving and a normal life.

Sherry drove me to the same lab, and finding I had a different tech it was time again to have some fun! Because I had already set Jill up as my lawyer (see
Seizure Story Number Three), I figured I would introduce Sherry as yet another member of my entourage. Sherry had picked me up directly from a business appointment she had, and she looked stunning as always. When the tech called me, I asked if it was OK to have my publicist accompany me. The tech said "what"? and I responded with "Oh, I'm sorry - my medical condition is being written up in a series of articles for Time magazine". It was at that point that Sherry lost it and started laughing! With her cover blown, there was nothing left but to get stuck (with the needle, not in traffic).

The normal part of my life is pending a psychiatric review, but in speaking with the neurologist on Thursday September 29 it was a mostly good news scenario. The Dilantin level had built up to a 9, with a target range of 10-20. Therefore, I was a skosh (this is a medical term I've picked up on my journey) shy of where I needed to be. I was advised to increase my Dilantin to 600mg a day (300 at night, 300 at morning) and then resume driving on Monday, October 3 without having to take another test.

Woo Hoo! So close, and yet so far. The weekend minutes crawled by slower than a slug on a salt shaker. I was tempted to maybe go for a short Sunday drive, but wisdom reigned and I resisted.


Monday morning brought the usual routine, culminating with my habit of preparing a commuter mug of coffee. I slipped behind the wheel, started the truck, backed out of the garage and then looking at the ruins of the garage door realized I had forgotten to open it!

Ha, just kidding. Here's the weird thing - I slipped immediately into auto pilot, and was a third of the way to work on
Highway 217 before I realized I'M DRIVING AGAIN! In delight and glee I flashed my lights, honked my horn and waved at my dear, fellow commuters! Look everyone, I'm driving! I'm driving!

Many people to my surprise waved back! It was interesting though how many of them had apparently injured their hands as only certain fingers were extended. No matter, if that's the way they wave now in Oregon then by golly I'll wave like that too! What a bunch of friendly people drive on 217 every day.

I have resumed running, and although I was very disappointed to miss Hood to Coast and the Portland Marathon thanks to a nifty little gizmo provided by RoadID...


...I can ensure that I can be identified should I have a seizure or otherwise incapacitate myself whilst running or cycling. The inscription I chose goes like this:

If you found Dave,

He's likely hurt,

First call Sherry,

Then get him out of the dirt.

Clever, eh? That should help emergency responders tremendously to quickly ascertain what happened to me and why!

Well dear reader, my life has changed. I have made new friends (thanks B!) who can understand my confusion, frustration and fears and encourage me. Thanks Patty, Greg, Jennifer, Devin and Rick who selflessly volunteered to give me rides to work. Thanks to Robbin who responded to my shameless tactic in my previous update and made me a batch of her world famous chocolate chip cookies. Thanks to all of you for the emails, phone calls and cards!

Although I put on a good game face, as I mentioned there have been dark moments as well. One day I was rummaging through my backpack and found the release from the Emergency Room and in stark, cold, clinical, sterile language it said "You have had a seizure". My eyes filled with tears as I was faced with the new realities in my life. I leave you with this prayer that I came across that has brought me great encouragement and peace, and whatever you are going through in life I hope it brings you grace and peace also:

The Prayer by Thomas Merton (from Thoughts in Solitude)

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me, I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you, and I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I never do anything apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may seem to be lost in the valley of the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you will never leave me to face my perils alone.