Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Gosh Dang it all to Heck

Well, it's been a year now since Dale Earnhardt JR's "indescretion" on Sunday October 3rd 2004 at Talladega:While conducting his victory lane interview, Earnhardt Jr uttered the ‘S' word on live TV when asked what his fifth career victory at the 2.66 mile tri-oval meant in the great scheme of things.f things. Earnhardt Jr's answer, a candid ‘It don't mean s**t right now,' related to the fact that his late father Dale Earnhardt holds ten career victories at Talladega.Dale was fined $10,000 (which is a paltry slap when you think that he made almost $5,000,000 last season) but more importantly NASCAR officials slammed him with a 25 point fine, which actually dropped him from first to second place in the overall standings. All this for a public use of a curse word!

An article in the Saturday September 24th edition of the (Portland) Oregonian noted that "...kids are pushing cussing customs". The article quotes English professor James Farrelly who states that:

"For the last forty years, a steady flow of previously verbotenwords has been making its way out of the gutter and into the mainstream of ordinary speech, vying for social acceptance and at least universal tolerance from the dotty senior set"

Words like bite, sucks and holy crap permeate our culture like freakin' traffic jams on major highways at rush hour. Along with their candid cousins (and you know what I mean!) our family of the American lexicon is reflected in our culture in music, movies and print venues. I heard a definition once that swearing was "the attempt of a feeble mind to express itself forcefully". Well, I'm not so sure about that anymore. I know some people who are much smarter than me (oh yeah, there is a Mensa member in that mix) whose language would cause the proverbial sailor to blush.

Interestingly enough, I'm not as offended as I used to be by this shift in language. Maybe I'm becoming less judgmental? Perhaps I'm becoming desensitized? Perhaps. I do know though that I am reminded of the plank in my own eye when trying to point out the toothpick in others. My conclusion: I would do well to remember the words of the Psalmist as recorded in 19:4 (NLT):

"May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer"