Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I'm gonna be rich

Well, I call this the summer that never was. Due to an intense project at work, and then my subsequent seizures; I really didn't get to enjoy the beautiful Oregon summer. But Fall is officially here, and you may ask "how do you know this"? Is it because every other household in the greater Portland area has someone heading to central Oregon to shoot something (we call this "hunting")? Is it because the wee ones are back in our nationally famous public school system? Could it be linked to the "flaming fall foliage" (I wish I coined that but kudos go to the Oregonian)? All of these could be true but...

It's because of traffic accidents.


You would think that if anyone knows how to drive in the rain, it's Oregonians; right? Wrong! Take an unseasonably mild and dry September, add pouring rains the last day of the month extending into the first few days of October and what do you get but traffic accidents!

So Monday evening on my way home from work. Uh oh! A recent shower left the pavement wet and the sun was peeking out - danger Will Robinson! I manage to make it through the nightmare of construction we like to call Highway 26 and then get on 217 southbound where I run into a wall of stopped cars. Gradually, as a surgeon directs the scalpel, as a fisherman threads the worm onto the hook, emergency response vehicles delicately dance their way through the traffic. Sure enough, a few miles south an accident caused the universal response of rubbernecking to bring things to a halt.

So, here's my idea - I call it the DMTAPC (Dave Mundt Traffic Accident Privacy Curtain). A collapsible, eight foot high frame from which drapes may hang, concealing not only the wreck but the emergency vehicles as well. Therefore - there's nothing to see here folks, move along! Due to the denial of an interesting crash scene, traffic moves right along as if nothing had ever happened. I thought even more revenue could be generated by selling advertising on the curtains, but in the American way I'm sure some enterprising individuals would stage accidents just so their products would be prominently displayed. Therefore, the curtains will remain in subdued but pleasantly and tastefully decorations.

Anyone interested in fronting me some venture capital?