Friday, May 05, 2006

He's big, he's bad and he's very, very mad...

Saw this cartoon and was reminded of the popular notion that the God of the Old Testament is an angry old man on a cloud hurling bolts of lightning:


This illustrates a point made recently by Sproul who was discussing worldviews, and made the assertion that the word "university" has its etymology in combing the words "universal" and "diversity". Sproul notes that these seem to be conflicting terms and to munge them into one word seems at odds, but he goes on to explain that in the academy the separation of facts and philosophy has produced distorted views of life.

I think that happens with our view of God as well. The cartoon illustrates what most of us (myself included) want to believe about God - that he is loving, merciful and that my most egregious sin will always fall one footstep short of the extent of his forgiveness. But God cannot be compartmentalized, although the Shema proclaims His unity, His diversity (just like ours) is clearly revealed as well. Consider Eze 33:11 & Hosea 11:8-9:

  1. I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.
  2. How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will I turn and devastate Ephraim. For I am God, and not man - the Holy One among you. I will not come in wrath.

Yes, God does punish sin - and yes, God does forgive sin. If we take either side in too much liberty, imbalance is sure to result in the way that we perceive God. The bottom line? We never want to take God's grace for granted, but bend our knee to the knowledge of what we (me too) truly deserve...