Saturday, May 20, 2006

DrOwning in Da Vinci

I tried. I really, honestly tried. In the end however, I could just NOT resist posting about the Da Vinci code! I therefore join the legions of people posting and pondering a preposterous plot. So there. Well, if I had been more prepared I probably could have joined the ranks of books, seminars, essays, DVDs, etc and made a small fortune. But I did not. What I will give you though is a list of my 'coulda woulda shoulda' Da Vinci rebuttal headings. You've see similar, but to my knowledge these are all mine and I'm gonna run out and trademark them:

  1. DeRiding the Da Vinci Code
  2. DeNying the Da Vinci Code
  3. DeSecrating the Da Vinci Code
  4. DeStroying the Da Vinci Code
  5. DoUbting the Da Vinci Code
  6. DeEp Frying the Da Vinci Code
  7. The DoOfus and the Da Vinci Code
  8. DoCtoring the Da Vinci Code
  9. DaMning the Da Vinci Code
  10. The Da Vinci DeLusion

Poor Leonardo. He's got to be spinning like a helicopter over all this (hey, the edits are necessary as this is a family blog):


This is going to be a fun post. Even though it was panned at Cannes, the criticism had little to do with the book's actual message than it did taking a difficult book and attempting to make a movie out of it. So, the question is why DoEs it DeServe such heaping criticism? I'll admit that I DoWnloaded and read the book. I'll also admit that I couldn't put it down. It took me two days to read in between work and sleep. Will I see the movie? Probably not, only for the reason that some books are just going to be better than any screen adaptation. Should you read the book or see the movie?

For a while I was on a kick reading novels about Jesus and His disciples. Not anything that was blatantly blasphemous, but curious and interesting. I was not moved to rend my garmens and throw ashes over my head, or to burn stock shares in a public demonstration on the steps of the publisher. What I would respond if someone asked is: Why do you want to? I look at like I look at TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network). For the most part, it is a ghastly representation of what Christianity truly is. However, even in saying that I recognize and admit that not all of TBN is wrong. When people ask me about TBN I respond that only a mature believer should watch TBN, but then if you are mature why would you want to?

It's kind of like that with the Da Vinci code. DoEs it DeServe the criticism and media attention? In some ways, yes! It's DePiction of Christian history is DeVestatingly untrue. False. Riddled with inaccuracy. Let's DeConstruct the Da Vinci code to it's elementary underpinnings. It's a work of fiction. DaVe's DiCtionary DeFines fiction as: stuff that is made up. It's not true! But, DanBrown's interesting DiSclaimer warrants a moment of thought:

"All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate"

It is important to notice, even intriguing; that Brown did not mention history. Was Brown implying then, by omission of history; that people would know that there is not a historical basis for the novel?

David Reinhold uses the word "truthiness", as coined by Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert; as the best way to describe the Da Vinci code. Truthiness is the appearance of truth that will not stand up when presented with facts. Now we all know (or you should!) what really happened at Nicea in 325 A.D. Brown takes such great liberties though twist the truth into truthiness that there is a danger that a non-Christian will take the book as fact and be led into a heretical view of Christianity.

I think there has actually been one very good result of the book. Many Christians are being introduced to the importance of church history and development of the canon. Many people who had not been able to previously defend their faith when confronted with concepts such as Brown purports are now able to converse with conviction founded on historical accuracy. And that's a good thing!

So, should you read the book? Well, I suppose ultimately I can't say! What I can say though is that if you do, be prepared for a great reading, historically innacurate presentation of facts. And if you really want to know about Christianity, the Bible is a better source than Brown!