Sunday, April 16, 2006

Pitiful, pathetic Christians - Happy Easter!

It comes down to this - I have staked my entire life - poured time and money into a theology degree and delaying a business degree, given much of my hard earned resources to the church I belong to, longed many times while being in a church service, performing a wedding, doing counseling, etc - when I really wanted to be riding my bike. I don't indulge myself in pity, and neither do I mention this to incur sympathy from you, gentle reader. Indeed, I do it cheerfully - hoping that one day I will hear these words, not in time, but in eternity: "well done, good and faithful servant - enter into the rest that I have prepared for you"

But what if I have done all this for a lie? Virtually all scholars, even those who do not profess Christianity and indeed those who are anti-Christian; admit that Jesus was a real man who lived, taught and had amazing influence in Palestine. But, what if He didn't really rise from the dead? What if He wasn't God after all? I like what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15 (NLT):

Now let me remind you, dear brothers and sisters, of the Good News I preached to you before. You welcomed it then and still do now, for your faith is built on this wonderful message. And it is this Good News that saves you if you firmly believe it--unless, of course, you believed something that was never true in the first place.

I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me--that Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, as the Scriptures said. He was seen by Peter and then by the twelve apostles. After that, he was seen by more than five hundred of his followers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died by now. Then he was seen by James and later by all the apostles. Last of all, I saw him, too, long after the others, as though I had been born at the wrong time. For I am the least of all the apostles, and I am not worthy to be called an apostle after the way I persecuted the church of God.

But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me--and not without results. For I have worked harder than all the other apostles, yet it was not I but God who was working through me by his grace. So it makes no difference whether I preach or they preach. The important thing is that you believed what we preached to you.

But tell me this--since we preach that Christ rose from the dead, why are some of you saying there will be no resurrection of the dead? For if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ was not raised, then all our preaching is useless, and your trust in God is useless. And we apostles would all be lying about God, for we have said that God raised Christ from the grave, but that can't be true if there is no resurrection of the dead. If there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is useless, and you are still under condemnation for your sins. In that case, all who have died believing in Christ have perished! And if we have hope in Christ only for this life, we are the most miserable people in the world.

But the fact is that Christ has been raised from the dead. He has become the first of a great harvest of those who will be raised to life again.