Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The grounds for a good day

Here in the northwest (I live in Tigard OR which is a suburb of Portland) we take our coffee very, very seriously. There's even an unsubstantiated rumor that there is a Starbucks in the Seattle area that is so large, it has a Starbucks kiosk inside of it. Wow.


It's not uncommon to hear something like the above cartoon expressed in a line at SBUX. In fact, recently I went in and ordered my usual: venti rasperry mocha extra shot extra hot no whip no foam. It's fun to just rattle this off as fast as a duck on a June bug and know that the barista is already halfway done with the drink. I threw a twist though, in this instance I added a blueberry scone. Well, there was some confusion with the clerk and I almost ended up with a no whip, extra hot raspberry scone and a blueberry mocha with an extra shot. But we worked it out.

Then, a few days later I was in a non-SBUX coffee shop and was standing in such a position that I could view the register display. The clerk was baffled and as I glanced over I saw this error message displayed to her:

Bad flow

Hmm - makes you rethink the whole coffee thing, doesn't it?

Well, the funniest thing happened when Sherry and I went through a drive through - Sherry looked at the menu and they had an item listed as a "Peppermint Patty". Sherry asked what that was and the clerk responded that it was a mocha with peppermint flavor. Sherry replied that that sounded really good, and could she have one without the chocolate? The clerk was a little confused and said "so, you want a peppermint latte?". Sherry said "no, I want a peppermint mocha but with no chocolate". The clerk looked at me, I looked at Sherry, and we all decided that Sherry would have a peppermint mocha but with no chocolate.