Monday, February 11, 2008

Dream Diary #5

I have weird dreams, but even this one was a doozy...

We have a new guy at work, and I dreamt I bought a pickup truck from him. It was a 1970's era Chevy stepside, metallic blue and sported high end, aftermarket stuff. It had a 454 cubic inch engine in it and a turbo hydromatic 400 transmission with a high performance torque converter. With Hedman headers and a Crane camshaft, at idle the engine would rumble and snort as the Holley 750 CFM carburetor with dual feed would, like a blood transfusion into Frankenstein's monster; feed the engine with lifeblood.

I pulled out of my driveway and went down to the local US Bank (my dreams are very specific) to get some cash out of the ATM. There was no drive up ATM which surprised me. I parked the truck and walked around the building, no walk up ATM! Another guy showed up and he too was looking for the ATM. We went inside the branch but saw no ATM. We saw a door and walked through it, and found ourselves in a hallway walking past the employee break room. No one seemed to be panicked by our appearance and offered us some lunch! We politely declined and asked if there was an ATM at the branch. They said no.

Then I got back in the truck, but noticed some dents on the rear fender (it was a stepside). Don't know what that may mean but they were there. I drove off and enjoyed the feeling of the powerful engine pushing me back into the seat as I accelerated into...a traffic jam. Finally I was able to extricate myself and roared off onto a freeway, looking for the Glisan street exit. I saw the exit, but it turned into a skyway that drove us high above the city...to a fountain where kids were splashing and playing. I asked someone there for directions, but they couldn't provide any. I set off driving around again, still looking for a way to get to Glisan street.

The freeway then turned into a highway that ended with me driving up into a "T" intersection. I could only go left, or go right. At the base of the intersection was a tiny little shoe store. I was shocked to find that I was in La Canada (Flintridge) California. This is significant I suppose, if only a throwback to the past. When I was a child we lived in Lancaster CA and when we drove to LA we would drive over the Angeles Crest Highway and drop down into the valley through La Canada. As a kid it was always significant for me to see that little shoe store because I knew that fun times we're not far away as we took the left turn onto the Foothill freeway with relative's homes in Pasadena, El Monte, Arcadia all very close now.

Well, instead of the Foothill freeway I was finally on Glisan street! I don't remember why or where I was going on Glisan, but I was so relieved to be there.

And then I woke up.