Friday, June 22, 2007

Dream Diary

I have strange dreams. Vivid, weird dreams. I dream in color. Sometimes I even remember my dreams! Years ago I dreamt I was captaining a PT Boat. I stood at the helm hands gripping the wheel as the three powerful Packard V-12 engines pushed through the waves of the sea as I searched for enemy targets. I could feel the thrum of the engines through the floor as we powered along.

That's just an example.

Recently, I dreamt I was in Los Angeles. I was in a large, old ramshackle warehouse. Sunlight shoved its way through the smog and broken windows, dappling the floor with weak light that diffused in the dust of the air. My friend Tyler (whom I haven't been in contact now for more than 15 years) was there and had a terrible sickness. I was selling him drugs to help him get better.

Then, I left the warehouse and walked down the street to a small bungalow. Apparently I knew the occupants because I just walked in and greeted the mother (I don't remember her name) and her 8 year old daughter, Iris. I sat with them for a while until a knock on the door interrupted our conversation. The mom opened the door and into the room strode Leonardo DiCaprio. In the dream he was a movie star like his real life. Mom greeted him, and then introduced him to me. I did not want to appear star struck so I just casually said "what's up Leo?" "not much" he replied. He asked Iris if she would like to see a magic trick. She said yes and he pulled a red pocket square from his breast pocket of his blue seersucker suit. We all laughed as he made a small red ball disappear from the pocket square.

Then, I excused myself and walked down to a street corner and waited for my grandmother to come pick me up. She pulled up in a light blue Cadillac convertible with a bunch of high school girls and low back tires. This is significant in some way, not because of the girls; but that grandma never drove in her life. Anyway, I hopped in and off we went. Because the tires were so low at each corner the car would lean waaaayyy over as we all laughed. We paralleled some tracks for a light rail of some sort. As we would drive under wrought iron street markers, I would reach up with my hand and touch them as we passed. At one point my hand became caught, and instantly I knew my hand would be severed if I did not react quickly. Fortunately I was wearing gloves and managed to extricate my hand before my metacarpals became mangled.

Then, grandma, the Cadillac and the girls were gone and I was standing at the entrance of a giant Macy's department store. The light rail terminated at the entrance to the store, where signs directed commuters to follow the tracks through the store to the next station on the other side. To guide them the light rails had been burnished to a beautiful copper color and it was a normal Macy's. Except for train tracks right through the middle.

Then, I woke up.