Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dream Diary #3

I dreamt I was admiring a motorhome. A great big, modern motorhome. A huge motorhome. The owner was showing me around the cab - pointing out such amenities as the leather captain's chairs, the ergonomically placed controls, fireplace (OK, I'm just making that one up). I was very impressed and he invited me in back to see the living quarters.

To my surprise, the cabin was enormous - it must have been fifty feet long, 25 feet wide and 25 feet tall. It had one (1) piece of furniture. There was a couch at the very back where his wife and daughter were seated. That's it - this enormous living space with one couch, nothing else. It didn't even have windows. The floor, walls and ceilings were covered with white carpeting. I asked why that was, the owner said that helped to dampen the noise to keep the interior from being subjected to echoes.

He invited me back to meet his wife and daughter, and they greeted me warmly with hospitality and charm. He then asked if I would like to see the basement? Think of it - a basement in a motorhome! He went on to explain that when they were not on the road, they had it parked in such a fashion that there was access to a subterranean extension. Sure! Show me the basement!

He pulled up a trapdoor that was concealed by the white carpet next to the couch. I remember very clearly that it was about 3 feet to the side and 2 feet in front of the couch. Not sure why those dimensions were important but in my dream they were. There was a very steep ladder, unfinished wood construction that seemed incongruent with the luxury of the motorhome; that allowed us to descend.

We went down to a asphalt path that wound through a stunning garden. There was a fork in the road so to speak, and I wandered to the left and came upon a high glass wall. Behind the wall was a church sanctuary with pews and a pulpit. It was a very small church, and the owner explained that it was a historical landmark and that the church had been built in the 1800's. Looking in I saw a girl from the past named Jeri in a posture of repentance. That was very strange, I never knew Jeri well at all - she rode our school bus and other than exchanging a few pleasantries now and again we never even had a true conversation. I probably have not thought of her in 30 years, seriously. Anyway, the owner explained that Jeri was confessing that she had smoked pot. Okay then, have no idea why that was part of the dream.

We continued on the tour by backtracking back to the fork in the path. We then came to a large cafeteria. It wasn't enormous but would seat about 50 people or so and had a full grill and kitchen area. There wasn't one person in the cafeteria.

We egressed out in the open and looking back I could see that we had descended quite a ways and the motorhome now rested upon a hill, underneath a hazy sky, with calf length grass gently blowing in the breeze. I had an overwhelming sense of deja vu, that I had been exactly on this hill before. As I slowly turned and surveyed the horizon, I realized that I was in Michigan (I spent a summer there).

And then I woke up.