Sunday, March 19, 2006

Joey's Question

Joey commented on an earlier post, and posed these questions:

So we do have a free will, that is without question. However when it comes to salvation, what do you see in scripture as to the progression of regeneration in the sinner? Do you believe that an unregenerate sinner can recognize his need for God? Or do you believe that God has to move on them with regeneration before they can recognizeit. How do you balance man's will with God's sovereignty? I think it is interesting that we have a free will and yet I am sure that my will cannot override the will of God, since I am finite and He is infinite and all the other incommunicable attributes. What's your take on this?

Joey, a short answer to your question(s) is: Yes.


(crickets chirping)

I'm going to give a somewhat rambling reply, as there are several themes that are involved here. And I will also admit humility - without formal training in Calvinism I am going to look stupid I'm sure on some points (pun unintended) - but I'm willing to explore and engage.
OK - first of all I believe that regeneration is a synergestic process. By that I mean that there is cooperation between man's soul and God's initiative. That of course leads right into the argument of total depravity, that man is sufficiently corrupt (dead in sin) that there is nothing extant within a human being to respond to God's initiative. Mongergism maintains that regeneration is solely the work of God. Here's a plagiarized and rewritten (for brevity's sake) illustration from "Why I am not a Calvinist" by Jerry Walls and Joseph Dongell:

A sinner is enslaved in a prison camp. Bound, gagged, blindfolded and drugged, the layers of distortion are so entrenched the prisoner cannot even begin to seek help. God then bursts through the gates, overpowers the guards, enters the prisoner's cell and injects faith into his/her veins. God has been the sole actor throughout, even as the former prisoner now lives a life of faith.

The classical Arminiast position would say that God penetetrates the defenses, gently lifts the blindfold and whispers - "I am hear to help you, I love you and have prepared a different life for you if you - if you trust me it will be alright". Perhaps the prisoner resists for a while, but eventually surrenders and accepts the offer of freedom. That scenario seems to follow the richness of the gospel and the interaction of God and the provisions He made for mankind.


In terms then of predistination, I believe that God predestines (every Christian believes in predestination, the differences of opinion come on discussion where and how it occurs) by looking down the corridor of time and predestinating according to how we will choose. The alternative (and this is where I will admit I need help from a Calvinist perspective) is a rigid, fixed life. I think this cartoon actually illustrates my point:


I think the foreknowledge of God is a crucial point as well - I'm not suggesting what I believe is an aberrant construct, open theology where God does not know the future. Propenents of this belief would be Rabbi Harold Kushner (When bad things happen to good people) and Gregory Boyd (God of the possible). In those streams, God can be caught off guard and thus predestination takes on a different form.

For example, I usually drive home from work going south on 217 to the 72nd Ave exit. Day after day. But what if, one day; I suddenly crank the wheel and cut across traffic to the Walker Road exit. Has God predestined me to take Walker Road after all? Did I surprise Him? What if I even, with tires squealing, engine roaring, cutting cars off with fingers flipping me off scream back off of Walker Road and back onto 217? Have a I caught God off guard and he goes "whoa' - better predestine Dave back onto 217 real quick or his future is going to be in a world of hurt and I'm going to look stupid".

I'm using extreme and ridiculous examples, but for me - there is a kernel of truth in them.

As for your last question - can my will override the will of God, uh - I dunno! It's the classical argument of:

If God is all powerful, can he create a rock so big that even he cannot move it?

If you say yes, then He is not omnipotent (all powerful) because by nature omnipotence can move anything. If you say no, then He is not omnipotent because if He WAS omnipotent He could do it! No win either way. But this illustration has been used to talk of the human will in relation to God's will where human will becomes 'the rock'.

I suppose then that I would say that my will can override God's will. Whoa! Heretic, take him outside the gates and stone him. But let me qualify - I believe that God can override my will, but chooses not to. If, on the way to work; I'm confronted with a pedestrian who will not move out of the crosswalk blocking my way. I have my will - to get to work. He has his will - to stay right in the middle of the intersection - I COULD run him over, but I CHOOSE not to.

Going further, you probably heard of the pastor's wife that murdered him and fled with their children. Was it God's will that she slay him? I don't think so. Yet it happened. That leads to a logical conclusion that God creates evil, as in this circumstance he COULD HAVE STOPPED HER but He didn't. Why? WHY? WHY?

Why does evil happen, good people get sick and die while bad people prosper, youth become disenfranchised and violent and their parents have affairs and divorce and create meth labs?

I'm not sure. But I believe it has something to do with free will.

Joey, I'm starting a journey into the five points (I'm trying not to say Calvinism vs. Arminianism in every post) and will continue to blog on these topics. Thanks for your questions!