Monday, October 29, 2007

A Perfect Day

My life can be mundane at times. Well, most of the time. However, yesterday was an exceptional day. I ran some errands in the morning, and it was warm and sunny enough (in late October!) to roll the windows down and put on sunglasses. I glanced in the rearview mirror and admired how cool I look in shades, and almost rear ended a car in front of me that had stopped for a light.


Then, I went to the gym and lifted. I enjoy running, cycling and swimming but I really enjoy weightlifting. As I had focused on cycling in the spring for the Pole Pedal Paddle and ran all summer in preparation for the Maui Marathon, it had been months since I was in the gym. I saw a buddy name Seamus and we chatted and he remarked how good I looked with all the weight loss. It was a nice moment of narcississm and to catch up with him.


Then, I took Kadie to a park and threw a ball for her until she was near collapsed. I love watching her run. She kept returning the ball though and when I saw that she would have barely enough energy to even jump into the truck I grabbed her and heaved her up.


Then, with the opportunity of sunshine and dry leaves (a rare occurence in the Portland fall) I worked in the yard. Out came the leaf blower. Of course I had purchased an expensive, powerful leaf blower and relished the experience of moving those leaves closer to their destiny in a black leaf bag waiting to be banished to the mulching plant. Still wearing a sleeveless workout shirt I was showing off my biceps a little bit. The sun was an orb in the sky and my biceps were like two moons in my yard.


Then, Kadie had recovered and wanted me to throw the ball again. Tired now from lifting and carrying the leaf blower I went to throw the ball and unfortunately my massive bicep finally said "enough" and the ball rolled off of my hand and bopped me right on the head. Kadie was amused. I was not. I returned to blowing leaves around and leaned around a corner. The intake for the blower sucked part of my untucked shirt into it and I had a moment of panic thinking it would rip my shirt right off of my body and expose my six pack abs and massive chest to the neighbors. Fortunately for my neighbors I managed to extricate the shirt.


Still enamored with blowing everything not tied down around (you should have seen the cat go! Not really but I thought about it) I had remembered that I had thrown a pair of running shoes into the washer and set them out to dry. Ha! Leaf blower to the rescue. I stuck the nozzle into one of the shoes and let 'er rip. A bit full of myself for being so clever I proceeded to blow one of the shoes into the pile of leaves. I was able to find it.


Then, I thought it was time for a run! I sat down in the sun to rest a little bit. As the rays bathed me in warmth I thought it would be nice to have a beer. I fetched a beer and returned to the sun.


Then, I thought it would be nice to sit in the sun, drink a beer and read. I fetched a book on philosophy and read Socrates, Plato and that other guy. I dozed off and dreamt a little bit that I was a philosopher in Athens pontificating to the rapt audience. Then I woke up.


What a wonderful day it was!