Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sticks and Stones will break my bones...

...and so will being clumsy.

So there I was. Sherry had a friend who had a birthday to stop by and celebrate. As Cindy and Sherry were both in the kitchen blocking my access to the refrigerator (a very dangerous and precarious position to assume) I attempted to maneuver past them with a single, fluid motion in a daring display of my dexterity. Unfortunately, our cabinets and countertops did not comply. I jammed my toe and grunted in pain as my nerves communicated to my brain that injury was not only imminent but realized.

With an ungraceful, non-fluidic response I stumbled and Cindy naturally stuck out her arms to break my fall. In an instant of time I'm wracked with pain, in the arms of another woman, in my kitchen, in front of my wife.

From previous daring displays of dexterity I knew I had broken my little toe.

But, we are a culture that looks to put any blame on another entity or circumstance, right? Of course. Not wanting to appear clumsy, I searched diligently for an excuse. And found one! I take pulmicort for asthma. some of the documented side effects include:

Immediate and delayed hypersensitivity reactions including rash, contact dermatitis, angioedema, and bronchospasm; symptoms of hypocorticism and hypercorticism; psychiatric symptoms including depression, aggressive reactions, irritability, anxiety, and psychosis; Bad taste, headache, nausea and dryness of the throat were reported less frequently. Other side effects reported on occasion were tiredness, thirst and diarrhea.

Sounds like a typical day at work, doesn't it? Well, you can add to the list "bone disorders including avascular necrosis of the femoral head and osteoporosis".

Of course - broken bones! Ha, the scapegoat at last - the explanation for all my problems - drugs! All this time I thought I was afflicted with MCS (male clumsiness syndrome) but it turns out to be the drug I'm taking. But wait, I broke the same toe long before I had asthma...