Friday, February 16, 2007

Dream On

No, this isn't about the Aerosmith song that rocked the airwaves in the 70's (although I did have the 8-track tape when it came out).

I often have vivid, strange dreams. One of my all time favorites is when I was piloting (captaining? driving?) a PT boat through rough waters - the 3 powerful packard v-12 engines caused a thrumming underneath my feet as I held the boat steady and roared through the waves like a lasik surgery on an old eyeball.

Well, this dream started in a warehouse in Los Angeles with me supplying drugs to one of my old friends, Tyler. Now I should qualify that Tyler was sick and these were not illegal drugs but over the counter medicine. I left Tyler and the warehouse and walked down the street to a small bungalow of the type that overtook the city in the 50's and 60's like lighter fluid on a bed of charcoal.

In the bungalow was a woman in her mid 30's whose name I never learned, but she did have an 8 year old daughter named Ivy who was cute as a spring flower pushing it's way up out of the drab winter soil. As we talked together Ivy's mom mentioned that Leo was going to come over.

A few minutes later Leonardo DiCaprio entered the house. I was trying to be as nonchalant as a pretty high school girl snubbing an eyeglass wearing nerd (note the subtle reference to my high school days). I said "hey Leo, how you doing"? Apparently he knew me as he replied "great Dave, how are you?". He then said to Ivy "would you like to see some magic tricks?" "sure" she replied. Leo then proceeded to pull a red pocket square (I dream in color) from his breast pocket (he was wearing a sport coat) and proceeded to do some tricks. After a few minutes I bid a farewell and left the house.

I walked down to a street corner and up drove my grandma (now deceased). She was driving a convertible Cadillac with the top down and it was filled with a bunch of high school girls who were indifferent to me apparently reinforcing my poor self image. Why is this relevant? Grandma never drove in her entire life. Well, she went around a corner and the shocks were bad and the heavy caddie leaned far into the turn. Then, we were paralleling a mass transit system light rail. For some reason I extended my arm to put my hand in the air. As we drove underneath a sign, my finger was caught in the sign. Grandma wasn't driving very fast but I knew the momentum would rend my finger from my hand if I didn't do something fast. Fortunately, I was wearing gloves! I managed to extricate my finger from the glove and all was well.

We stopped the car where the tracks ended at a huge Macy's store. All commuters were forced to disembark like ants sprayed with bug spray fleeing their anthill. But all was not lost! The light rail tracks continued right into the Macy's store. The commuters could then walk through the store following the tracks as they wound their way through the men's department, appliances, etc. The tracks were shiny polished silver and rather than being a distraction they lent an elegant air to the store design. The tracks finally led outside the store to another statioin where the commuters could then embark and continue on their journey.

And then I woke up.