Monday, September 04, 2006

I'm a winner - 1976 and 2006

In the junk mail this weekend was a notification from Landmark Ford. I was pleased and excited to see a guarantee that I am DEFINITELY A WINNER of one of the prizes below.

Before we look at my prize, I should say that the last time in my life that I was a winner was 30 years ago. In 1976, I was driving down the road in my 67 Camaro, probably listening to a brand new rock group named Aerosmith on the AM radio who I thought would probably fade into obscurity within a few years. All of a sudden there was an announcement that if I was caller number 10 I WOULD WIN A PRIZE! At that moment I was driving by a gas station with a phone booth and I had a dime in my pocket. Pulled in, plunked the dime, dialed the number and I WON.....a Barry Manilow album. Well, in retrospect I'm not sure if that could truly be considered a win, but mom liked the album.

Let's fast forward to THIRTY years later - I'm a winner again! Now that I've kept you in suspense, let's contemplate my prize. Note that there are several prizes, and the odds of winning were published next to each prize:

  1. $20,000.00! Odds are 1:12,000
  2. $2,000.00 Cash! Odds are 1:12,000
  3. $1,000.00 Cash! Odds are 1:12,000
  4. Sony Big Screen TV! Odds are 1:12,000
  5. 50 Piece Tool, Bit & Socket Set ($29.00 value) Odds are 11,996:12,000

If I were so inclined to go in, which prize do YOU think I would have won? Yeah, that was my guess too!