Monday, August 06, 2007

The Perfect Running Playlist

I realize that there is a fair amount of controversy regarding if one should listen to music whilst running or cycling. Here's a case in point. Cycling for me is not an option, however I'll confess to being a runner that listens to MP3 songs as the miles go by. As I've bult my 'perfect' playlist I thought I would share it with you. Although it's dynamic and changes do occur, this is pretty much the standard and I rotate other songs through it.

I've noted that there are a few songs that are just too good to listen only, and that they are required to sing out loud as I run. Fortunately, one of my favorite routes takes me through an industrial area and then culminates running adjacent to a retirement community golf course. What do these two areas have in common? Usually a dearth of witnesses who would testify that my singing is one of the primary causes of global warming.

However, there are the occasional times when a musical infraction is overheard by an unlucky observer. So, there I was. Running through the golf course (on a trail of course!). Singing my lungs out to "Little Red Light" by Fountains of Wayne. Try it, go ahead - to use a lovely double negative you will not be able to not sing along. I was running on the proper side of the road, facing oncoming traffic. A minivan was making a right turn into a driveway, and he acknowledge me with a little wave indicating his approval to pass in front of him. I waved back acknowledging my gratefulness for not being run over by a minivan. As I passed him I was in full melodic bliss, belting out the lyrics like syrup on pancakes.

Guess what? There was a car behind him. I was looking slightly down watching the road when I glanced at the plate. To my horror I recognized the license plate. IT WAS MY WIFE! She had her window open and leaned over across the passenger seat and yelled "Hi Honey! You're looking good". I smiled and waved, and later on I tactfully asked her if, she maybe; had heard my singing. Thankfully, she had not.

Anyway, here's my current running playlist for your perusal: