Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I want to believe.

It was a dark and stormy night. Although no rain was falling the wind was whipping violently. There I was, not on some lonely country road but going south on 217 in rush hour traffic.

Suddenly, there it was. When you expect a visit from a monster, a myth, a legend you expect it in a creepy mansion or a deserted gas station on a dark desert highway. Not in rush hour traffic. But I could not deny what my eyes had seen.

You see, I saw a sea bat. I did not know that they ventured this far inland. Black as the night, with a wingspan of about 3 feet across it hovered I'm guessing about 15 feet above the highway. Wings gently flapping and using the force of the wind it looked like it was about to swoop down on an unsuspecting automobile and rip its victims right through the roof. My heart skipped a beat as terror began to pump raw adrenaline into my body. Fight or flight? I was ready to fly, guy!

Now, lest you accuse me of highway hallucinations let me say that it could have been just a garbage bag flapping and floating in the breeze. Sure, it could have been the overactive imagination of a stressed out rush hour minion. Sure, it could also have been the pepperoni pizza from lunch.

However, I'm not the first to experience the terror that a sea bat can visit upon an unsuspecting soul. The first known sighting of a sea bat has been documented by my friend Steve here.

You may say there is no such thing as a sea bat, but as for me and Seaman Murphy - we believe.