Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Dave - 1, Osama Bin Laden - 0

Just when you thought life couldn't get any weirder, The Scotsman reports that Osama Bin Laden was obsessed with Whitney Houston and wanted to marry her. Kola Boof, a Sudanese poet and novelist, who says she was kept against her will as the terrorism mastermind's mistress in 1996, writes in her autobiography that he wanted to give the star a mansion and make her one of his wives.

"He said that he had a paramount desire for Whitney Houston and although he claimed music was evil, he spoke of some day spending vast amounts of money to go to America and try to arrange a meeting with the superstar," Boof writes. "He said he wanted to give Whitney Houston a mansion that he owned in a suburb of Khartoum. "He explained to me that to possess Whitney, he would be willing to break his colour rule and make her one of his wives."

Well, move over Osama - I'm one up on you. Years ago, when Whitney was at the height of her fame I went to a concert. Her popularity was peaking partly in part to the movie "The Bodyguard", and she was singing several of the hits from the movie.

At one point, she had finished a song, the applause was receding like the tide leaving the shore, and just as she took a breath to start her next song, in a moment of youthful foolishness I lept to my feet, cupped my hands and screamed as loud as I could "I loooove you Whitney".

Momentarily startled, she looked up into the nosebleeds where I was sitting, and said these words into the microphone - "Whitney loves you back". HA! Eat your heart out Osama, Whitney Houston told me SHE LOVES ME!

Dave - 1, Osama Bin Laden - loooooooooooooooser!