Thursday, December 01, 2005

Amazing Grace - or Unsettling Grace?

Holy Cow! Can't we all just get along?!!? A little joshing about theological perspectives took an ugly turn recently with James White and Paul McCain lobbing a few hand grenades around regarding our recurring theme of Calvinism and Arminianism.

It reminded me of the Council of Nicea in 325 a.d. where as tradition has it that Arius penned his famous diatribes against the equality of Jesus with the Father to the tune of popular songs of the day. Again, tradition states that the Athanasian camp basically stuck their fingers in their ears and chanted "we can't hear you, we can't hear you".

It illustrates the point though that words when combined with music have a great impact. Consider this jingle against Arminiasm which I'm not sure who authored to the tune of Amazing Grace (John Newton who has to be not only spinning but spitting in his grave!):

Arminian "grace!" How strange the sound,
Salvation hinged on me.
I once was lost then turned around,
Was blind then chose to see.

What "grace" is it that calls for choice,
Made from some good within? That part
that wills to heed God's voice,
Proved stronger than my sin.

Thru many ardent gospel pleas,
I sat with heart of stone.
But then some hidden good in me,
Propelled me toward my home.

When we've been there ten thousand years,
Because of what we've done,
We've no less days to sing our praise,
Than when we first begun.

Well, somebody couldn't leave well enough alone and (okay, I don't know which was written first but you get the point about the contention) and renders the old classic "Jesus Loves Me" with an anti-Calvinist twist:

Jesus loves me! This I know
Predestination tells me so
Sovereign God loves me so well,
But He may want you in hell!

Yes, Jesus loves me
Well, maybe He loves me
I sure hope He loves meI guess
I'll never know!

Jesus loves me, I will win!
Can not fall away by sin.
Can't resist His grace, it's true,
Died for me but not for you.

Chorus

Jesus loves me! Where is He?
Up in heaven, can't you see?
Can't be sure where I will go
Jesus' little lamb, or no?

Chorus

Principles that regulate,
All our worship, ain't they great?
Even if we aren't too sure,
Which points really are secure.

Chorus

Now, just when you think it can't get any worse, "Rick" revises again to an ultra-Arminian extremist position that ventures out of orthodoxy bounds - but perhaps this is a knee jerk reaction and attempt at shock value for emphasis without really holding to this position? One can only hope:

Jesus loves me, though He’s helpless to save
O how he wants me to be brave
He cheers for me and that’s all He can do
Until the day I make my own life new

Yes I love Jesus, Yes I love Jesus
After I love Jesus, He decides to love me too

Jesus loves me; I’m not dead in sin
There is so much good within
I am not chosen my will is totally free.
I just need to breathe new life in me

Chorus

No regulation for worship, isn’t that great?
Whatever we can invent or create
God’s Word is full of just morals and advice
“Bring them in” at any price

Chorus

God’s not sovereign, how can He be?
That would take the thunder from me
We somehow are our own salvation buyers
Sinners are their own justifiers!

Chorus

Now, I could be accused of being wishy washy or a theological 'girly man' but I wouldn't discount either side with such vitriol. I know that positions are important and have great impact, but I do respect each side. And having said that, let me assure you that I firmly in one camp. But it is not my intention to debate here, but to again ask the question "can't we all get along"? My response then follows the modus operandi we have seen thus far. Please take a moment, and a breath; and sing the following to the tune of the Brady Bunch:

Here’s the story, of a man named Calvin
Who was busy writing doctrinal treatises all day,
It became the work we know as “Institutes”
Nothing much more to say.

Our friend Arminius took great exception,
With some concepts Calvin had put in his book,
He made points of his own, in refutation;
And considered Calvin a kook.

Till the one day when these fellows met in heaven,
And they knew it was much more than a hunch,
That their viewpoints each must be respected,
And that Jesus’ disciples must become a civil bunch

A civil bunch, a civil bunch, that’s the way they became a civil bunch.

P.S. Phil Johnson wrote a great piece that leads to great discussion and thought on doctrinal disagreement, and you can read it here.