Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The next Lance Armstrong?

Sherry and I have been following the Tour de France, and have been riding our bikes pretending to be Lance and Jan Ullrich. Of course, with Ullrich out due to allegations of drug use we had to stand in Ivan Basso. Oh wait, he too is out due to the allegations. So is Oscar Sevilla. OK, let's go with Bobby Julich. Bummer! He's out with an injury, probably torpedoing my Team du Jour of CSC.

Well, as long as we are fantasizing we'll go back to Ullrich, the perennial fly in Armstrong's ointment. Who can forget the famous "look" as he attacked Jan Ullrich up the famous L’Alpe D’Huez in 2001:


Well, sometimes Sherry is Lance and I'm Jan, and other times we'll reverse. We had planned a 30 mile ride on Sunday, starting at Clackamas Town Center and following the I-205 bike path out to the Columbia, riding an out and back 10 miles on Marine Drive, and then back to Town Center. Alas, was not to be. We were about 7 miles into the ride going about 17-18 MPH when I heard Sherry scream. I looked back to see her run into a chain link fence, careen off and then go down in a jarring tangle of aluminum, carbon fiber and flesh. We called 911 and I was put on hold for about 90 seconds, but it seemed like an eternity. Two very helpful cyclists had stopped to assist, one was a lifeguard and the other a paramedic so they were knowledgeable about what to do and what not to do while waiting for the ambulance. It turns out that Sherry had slaked her thirst and upon the attempt to put the bottle back in the cage, momentarily looked down and veered off of the path.

Upon arrival of the ambulance, she was put on a back board and then loaded up. They couldn't fit her bike, my bike, and me all in the ambulance so I 'volunteered' to ride back to the truck, load my bike and then drive to the ER. I think watching my wife being driven off in the ambulance was one of the saddest things I've ever experienced. However, I took the stress out in a blitz back to the truck. I rode as hard as I've ever rode, with fear, compassion, apprehension flooding me with adrenalin. Forget doping, I was a man on a mission. I probably could have won a stage and captured the coveted maillot jaune (yellow jersey).

Fortunately Sherry had no broken bones, but just some nasty bruises, sprains and road rash. She's already talking about getting back in the saddle, although we will need to get a new one as it was shredded in the crash. Other fatalities include her helmet, which is cracked and punctured (by a rock?) and possibly a wheel that is bent. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery honey!